Tuesday, February 26, 2013

End of Watch - My Movie Review


End of Watch2012R109 minutes

Officers Taylor and Zavala patrol the streets of South Central Los Angeles, an area of the city ruled by gangs and riddled with drug violence. Their perilous beat is captured on security footage and with the HD cameras of cops, criminals and victims.


My Review:

The other day an anonymous reader reviewed my book, Fields of Elysium, and called me racist over fairly mild remarks made by my characters. So when I was watching the movie End of Watch I thought if this reviewer, who never put her name or face behind her accusations, watched this film, she would probably have a heart attack.

The story follows the lives of two cops (one white and one Hispanic American) who lives in the cruelest and dirties part of L.A. Because of the authentic slang and cultural elements, the movie seemed very real and extremely entertaining. I do live close to L.A. and I try to avoid those parts of the town. One day following the instructions of my GPS to the airport I took a wrong turn and ended up in Inglewood. My stomach knotted as I tried to find my way out. That area has very bad vibes, is filthy and trashed down. I can’t even imagine how difficult it could be to patrol those streets as a cop. Well, this movie gives you a pretty good idea. Many people hate cops, but let me tell you something: those men and women who swear to protect us even from the worst enemies deserve every bit of respect and support we can give. Their life is at stake every minute of their shift, and their families live in constant worry.

If you are not the kind of person who is easily offended, take a chance on this movie. Jack Gyllenaal and Michael Pena give memorable performances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment